If there is one thing we love about the holidays, weekends or really any day, it would be dessert. Seasonal flavors, themed garnishes and any excuse to enjoy a sugar fix, we are game.
Goddess and Baker's Debbie Sharpe will be serving this Easter 'Peep' Cake for the spring holiday at her Chicago locations and we could not be more jealous. You, however, get a sneak peak at making this dessert delight with our Womanista Easter Brunch Menu! Layers of white cake and vanilla custard with coconut, covered in buttercream with coconut shavings and housemade “peeps” make this a sweet-tooth's dream.
White Cake Mix Ingredients
- 12 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cake Mix Method
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to butter mixture then add half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Separate mix into two bowls and add food coloring to each bowl. Portion batter into cake pans.
- Bake cake at 350 for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean.
- 1 Cup Egg whites
- 1 Lb Granulated white sugar
- 1 ¼ Lb Unsalted butter
- 12 oz Powdered sugar
- ½ TB Vanilla paste
- Bring a pot of water to a simmer.
- Stir together egg whites and granulated sugar in a metal bowl. Place the on top of the pot of water.
- Heat until all sugar is dissolved.Whip mixture until you form stiff peaks.
- Slowly add room temperature butter into the whipped mixture and mix on high to incorporate.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and vanilla paste.
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 3 oz butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 oz granulated sugar
- 3 oz cornstarch
- ¾ C milk
- ¾ C egg yolks
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a bowl, set aside.
- Milk together 2nd portion of milk and egg yolks, then pour into sugar and cornstarch till smooth.
- Heat 1st portion of milk, butter, and vanilla in a pot till steaming.
- Slowly pour 3 cups of hot liquid into the egg mixture, combine.
- Then pour the egg mixture into the hot milk pot.
- Cook while stirring constantly till the custard is thick.
- Pour into a bowl and lay a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the custard. Cool.
Sliced cooled cut into even layers. Pipe a ring of buttercream onto the layers of cake. Filling the cake with pastry cream and sprinkle a layer of coconut on top of the pastry cream. Stack cake 4 layer high. Ice cake completely with buttercream and press coconut flakes onto the sides of the cake. Decorate top for spring. Enjoy!