If you’ve ever tried to make a batch of hard boiled eggs for breakfast but they ended up cracking mid-boil, getting overcooked and hard to peel, or just coming out with that unappetizing green film around the yolk, we’re here to tell you you’ve been doing things all wrong.
They might be called “hard boiled eggs,” but the secret to getting perfect eggs doesn’t actually come from boiling at all. Instead, you should be steaming them.
Mind blowing, we know — that’s why we’re here to walk you through this surprisingly successful method to produce perfect hard boiled eggs every single time.
What You’ll Need
A steamer basket
1. Fill a saucepan with as much water as needed to reach the bottom of the steamer basket sitting on top — it should be about one inch or so.
2. Heat the water until boiling and producing steam. Then turn off the heat and gently place the eggs at the bottom of the steamer basket.
3. Turn the heat back on to medium high, and cover the pot.
4. Set a timer for 10-12 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your yolks.
5. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice cold water to stop the eggs from cooking.
6. Peel your eggs easily and enjoy!