Losing your apartment is tragic enough, but losing your apartment and all your belongings in a blaze as an expectant mother, now that is beyond comprehension. Which is exactly what happened to Nicola Taylor, 30, in Broward County, Florida.
According to Inside Edition, Taylor's local Fire Department came to her rescue - and then some. She was moved to tears when the Lauderhill Fire Department threw her a shower and gifted her with baby items, clothes, and the lease on a new apartment.
“I didn’t expect it,” Taylor said. “It took me by surprise.”
The fire department went above and beyond when they saw the remains of baby items in the burnt-out apartment earlier in the month.
“I was blindsided," she recalled. "Getting out was my main goal at the time. The smoke was heavy and black. I couldn't see what was going on."
At the time of the fire, Taylor was just weeks from giving birth to a baby girl and was living in the apartment with her dad, cousin and cousin's baby.
Captain Jerry Gonzalez, the fire department spokesperson, said there was just nothing left of the apartment after the fire.
“The apartment was completely gutted down to the concrete,” he said. "They're a low-income family. They had all these gifts in the apartment, and everything was lost.”
With a lot of new dads in the fire department, they knew they had to do something. After a week of fundraising themselves and through a GoFundMe page, they had collected over $5,000 in cash and several thousand more in items like cribs, diapers, etc.
They used the money to put down a three-month deposit and first month's rent on a new apartment for the family.
Taylor noted that the new place is "a lot nicer than the one we had."
New York City Firefighter Dies After Falling Five Stories While Battling Fire
Watch: Fire Department Hires First Female Firefighter in Its 105-Year History
Iowa Fire Department Welcomes Six Babies in Seven Months