5 Children Hospitalized After Florida Pool Malfunctions, Causes 'Cloud of Chlorine Gas'

| Trending News

Five children were hospitalized after an indoor pool in Florida malfunctioned, ABC News reports.

The owner of the pool told officials that a thunderstorm on Monday caused a water pump at one of the indoor pools to shut off, leading to a build-up of chlorine that resulted in a "cloud of chlorine gas," according to the Hillsborough County Fire Rescue department.

Authorities responded to a 911 call Monday evening reporting a chemical release at Calypso Pool in Tampa.

MORE: Chad Michael Murray Wears His 'A Cinderella Story' Costume to Hospital Prom

The children had respiratory burns, stomach irritation and were vomiting, authorities said, and a hazmat crew arrived to ventilate the pool area.

"Five pediatric patients were transported from the scene to the hospital for evaluation after complaining of stomach discomfort and nausea after leaving the indoor pool area," the Hillsborough County Fire Rescue department said in a statement.

In a statement, the pool operators called the incident a "freak accident."

"We've trained hundreds of kids for water safety and our concern is about everyone's safety," the statement said. "We believe that it was a malfunction."

Photo Credit: Twitter / @ABC

Related:

Dying Mom Watches Daughter Graduate From Her Hospital Bed
Aaron Carter Hospitalized After Woman Body Shames Him
Prince Philip, 96, Hospitalized With Infection